Welcome to Dr. Wilt’s Kitchen
Cardiologist & Home Chef
As a cardiologist I realize how important our diet is on our cardiovascular health. Right here you will find heart-healthy recipes I have created for the whole family. Join our ABC’s of Health exclusive community to get premium content, perks, and information only available to members.
Heart Healthy Member Recipe Sample
Air Fried Tofu Bites Recipe
Air fried tofu bites? Not a fan?? Think again!
This is a super easy way to get kids (and some adults) to eat a high-protein, vegetarian dish!
- Take one block of extra firm tofu and slice into four equally thick wedges. Easiest way to do this is to lay the tofu block on its side, cut in half lengthwise, then each subsequent block again in half, lengthwise.
- Lay all four wedges onto a clean dish towel or paper towel and press out the excess water.
- Then, cut each wedge into cubes about 1/2 in size. Place the cubes in a bowl and coat generously with olive oil, set aside.
- In a separate bowl, or large ziplock bag, mix in 1/2 cup of flour (we prefer stone-ground, whole wheat) and 1/4 cup cornmeal. For GLUTEN-FREE options, replace standard flour with equal parts oat, buckwheat, or almond flour.
- Next, add about 1 T nutritional yeast, which gives the coating a slightly salty and nutty taste. If you don’t have, double the amount of grated parmesan cheese works as a good substitute.
- Add 1 teaspoon sea salt and pepper, each, OR add in seasoning blend of choice.
- Mix well.
Preheat your air fryer to 400 F. Remove tofu cubes from excess olive oil and toss in the bag or bowl with flour mixture. If you placed it into the ziplock bag, seal up and shake to coat. Next, empty the coated tofu cubes into a colander to separate from the excess flour mix, then place in the air fryer for about 15 minutes until lightly browned and crispy. Serve warm!